Using our Pride Mark
Criteria & Application
Primary Purpose of the Pride Mark
The Pride Mark is symbolic of an active commitment by an individual or group in Botswana to outcomes that instill pride in the community. Each activity or product that carries the Pride Mark must clearly support 'Pride and Progress', the essence of Brand Botswana, and the values of peaceful, progressive, trustworthy and inclusive.
Each application to use the Pride Mark will be required to articulate how the proposed product, activity or project actively supports the essence and each of the values.
Background to the Pride Mark
The Pride Mark launched in April 2010, provides a symbolic connection point for community-based projects and communications within Botswana. It Links to the overall brand essence of 'Pride and Progress' and the Brand Botswana Blueprint.
It symbolises the pride of Batswana and acts as a unifying mark for all community projects and events that are specifically designed to instill pride within the local community.
Individual project leaders or organisations can apply to Botswana Export Development and Investment Authority (BEDIA) through the Brand Botswana Office for authorised use of the Pride Mark.
Categories of Use
A Product made in Botswana, which is specifically designed to stimulate pride in the community and produced in a manner consistent with the country values.
Examples of product that can display the Pride Mark include:
- On the front/back of a published photographic book of community heroes
- On the front/back of a CD of musical recording of local artists.
- On the swing tag of locally made craft products developed by collectives of Batswana.
A project or event that is designed to build community outcomes and express pride in Batswana, their community and their country.
Examples of events/activities/projects that can display the Pride Mark include:
- On Campaign collateral(i.e banners/flags/brochures) that raises awareness related to social or health conditions.
- On collateral for a local children's festival that promotes pride in the community or is an expression of Botswana's culture and heritage.
- On collateral for a local competition based around cultural expression.
- On collateral that promotes a new education course to grow awareness about Setswana cultural norms and practices.
|Community Group/Collective of People
An organisation, group of people or whole community (e.g. a village committee) that has demonstrated over a minimum period of 12 months that they have consistently managed/governed systems and programmes to grow community value and instill pride in the people involved.
Examples of places/areas that the Pride Mark could be used include:
- The entrance sign to a village
- The local town hall/council/kgotla
- During festivals or events that have been organised by a group aimed at instilling pride in the community.
Any form of cultural expressions, such as music, digital, visual and performing arts that is inspired by a sense of pride in the local community. It would be expected that any such cultural expression has been created by local talent and targeted primarily to an audience within Botswana.
Examples of cultural expressions where the Pride Mark can be used:
- On collateral promoting a local production which includes Batswana talent.
- On a local art gallery or exhibition that displays Batswana talent.
| International Pride Expression
Organisations, agencies and businesses responsible for the international marketing and promotion of Botswana products and services, including tourism, can apply to use the Pride Mark in recognition of proven community development initiatives.
Examples of applications of the Pride Mark include:
- Marketing collateral, outdoor advertising, trade shows and digital communications.
The purpose of this process is for quality assurance at two levels. Firstly, an assessment of the product/environment in which the Pride Mark will be used to determine its quality and appropriateness. Secondly, to ensure that the Pride Mark has been correctly applied.
Prospective users will apply to use the Pride Mark by submitting an application to BEDIA through the Brand Botswana Office. The application requires the completion of an application form and submission of the item/object/work that the Pride Mark will be used on.
The Brand Botswana Office will prepare an evaluation report detailing success or failure against prescribed criteria.
- Successful / Pending or Unsuccessful
Applications receive one of three possible status: Pending, Unsuccessful or Successful.
Successful applicants will be issued a Certificate of Compliance valid for a limited time frame and only applicable to the approved product or service.
Pending applicants are notified by letters as further information from the applicant is required in order to complete an adequate review.
Unsuccessful applicants are notified by letter and are offered the opportunity to re-address components of their application and re-submit for re-evaluation.
The applicant will receive electronic files of the Pride Mark as per file formats requested in their application. They will in addition also receive the Brand Guidelines to assist in application of the Pride Mark.
- Artwork Approval
Applicant is to send the Brand Botswana Office final artwork showing the application of the Pride Mark.
Please continue to Download or Fill online the Application for Use of the Pride Mark.