Investor Resource Centre
The BEDIA Resource Centre was established in 2001 to disseminate business information to the business community. It was then designated as a Reference Centre for the business community by JITAP in 2004 to continue to disseminate more business related information. JITAP aimed at enabling decision-makers, the business community, researchers and the general public to have on-line access to electronic training, education and information tools conceived specifically for them; and to maintain on-going, electronic contact with the WTO so that they could keep abreast with new business related developments. The major emphasis being on building capacity on the multilateral trading system, including WTO, ITC and UNCTAD trade related matters for the Botswana business communities. In 2004 and 2006 JITAP organised intensive training sessions for resource centre personnel so that they can disseminate these information appropriately to recipients.
Information resources available through BEDIA reference centre through this initiative embraces:
- Technical Assistance on CD-ROM
- WEBSITES - the WTO official website located on the Internet at www.wto.org contains a wealth of information about the rules and mechanisms of the global trade system, the latest news, WTO agreements, International trade, meetings schedules, documents on-line etc. world Bank and WTO joint website address () contains trade related information on developing countries, trade and development discussion forums, interactive guides to the WTO, links to home pages of the Economic Development Institute of the World Bank and the WTO, trade and developments links and activities of technical cooperation and training division.
- CD-ROM on the Uruguary Round Results - this contains all WTO rules and commitments by its members and the schedules of concessions on goods and services.
- Data on trade flows, tariffs and non-tariff measures. WIPO information is also available through the BEDIA Resource Centre.
- It contains most information which may assist the business community to start or expand their businesses.
- To provide users with information that is relevant to their information needs and requirements.
- to provide the business community, researchers, BEDIA staff and other users in government and the private sector, with an easily accessible and rich source of data and accompanying documentation;
- To provide users with timely and up to date information.
- To provide users with information within an appropriate format.
- To repackage information in a more comprehensive format.
Entrepreneurs and business people can access a number of services and resources of the Centre including:
- government information;
- reference and informative business and business related books;
- access to Internet-linked computers and CD-ROM;
- access to WTO/ITC/UNCTAD publications;
- access to Botswana parastatal organisations annual reports and other documentation;
- access to business and business related periodicals, directories, pamphlets and newspapers;
- access to other countries profiles;
- support on the use of the internet (internet orientation available)
The Resource Centre is opened to users Monday to Friday from:
0830 -1230 hrs
1345 - 1645 hrs
Boitumelo M.D. Garekwe-Modidi
TEL. +267 363 3318/318 1931
Fax: +267 318 1941/317 0452